[RP Town Announce] Sister Cities Press Release

Verenice Ciciliano vciciliano at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Fri Aug 31 12:57:09 UTC 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Mayor Vernon Archer

August 30, 2012
240/832-2257

varcher at gmail.com

Riverdale Park Hosts Reception for Sister Cities International Program

Riverdale Park, Maryland - The Town of Riverdale Park will host a reception
for its Sister Cities program on Tuesday, September 4, 2012, from 7:00 -
8:00 p.m. at Town Hall, 5008 Queensbury Road, Riverdale Park, MD.   In July
2012, Mayor Vernon Archer led eight teachers from the Prince George's County
Public School District on a volunteering trip to Ipala, Guatemala.  The
teachers spent 10 days teaching English and distributing needed supplies,
such as back packs, books, and school supplies. Following the reception, the
Town Council will present plaques honoring the teacher participants at the
beginning of its Legislative Meeting starting at 8 PM.

"This is my fifth trip to Ipala," stated Riverdale Park Mayor Vernon Archer,
who also works as a Prince George's County public school teacher.  "The
exchange between these two municipalities is mutually beneficial because it
promotes cultural awareness, develops language skills, and explores the
exchange of ideas.  Many of my students at William Wirt Middle School are
from Guatemala and other Central American countries.  I look forward to
incorporating my rich experience in Ipala into my classroom and the whole
Riverdale Park community."

Riverdale Park has been a member of Sister Cities International since 2008.
Founded by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, Sister Cities International is a
nonprofit citizen diplomacy network that creates and strengthens
partnerships between U.S. and international communities, promoting peace
through mutual respect, understanding, and cooperation.

About the Town of Riverdale Park

Incorporated in 1920, the Town of Riverdale Park sits just outside of
Washington, D.C.  The small-town atmosphere of Riverdale Park makes it an
ideal town in which to live, and its proximity to the Riverdale Park MARC
station and nearby College Park Metro station provide easy access for work.

# # #