[RP Town Announce] Despite Notification of Termination of the Prince George's County Public Schools Head Start Program Head Start Program will start on time on August 29, 2016

Jessica Barnes jbarnes at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Fri Aug 19 13:10:56 UTC 2016

Statement of Prince George's County Executive Rushern L. Baker, III:

Despite Notification of Termination of the Prince George's County Public
Schools Head Start Program
Head Start Program will start on time on August 29, 2016

Upper Marlboro, MD - Prince George's County Executive Rushern L. Baker, III
released this statement following notification by the U.S. Department of
Health and Human Services (HHS) that Prince George's County Head Start
program grant has been terminated as a consequence of deficiencies that were
not corrected in a timely manner:

"I am angry and extremely disappointed at the recent news that the grant for
the Prince George's County Head Start Program through the U.S. Department of
Health and Human Services has been terminated. I have asked Dr. Maxwell to
address this matter immediately and I have confidence that he and the Board
of Education will ensure that the families of the 932 children in the
program do not lose this valuable and important educational service. The
acts that are documented in the report from Head Start are unacceptable and
will not be tolerated in our school system

Head Start was designed to provide a nurturing learning environment for
early learners and our school system must ensure that the students we are
entrusted to protect are safe. This report demonstrates that there are
teachers and other school professionals in our school system who did not
understand the sacred nature of their responsibility. It is my understanding
that Dr. Maxwell has dealt with them swiftly, as well as addressed this
situation with the entire Prince George's County Public Schools Head Start
staff. We must rid the system of those who do not take their responsibility
seriously.

As a result of this situation, I have assigned members of my senior staff to
work with Prince George's County Public Schools to resolve this matter and
restore funding to this extremely critical program. I also want to assure
the families in our Head Start Program that school will start on August 29
as scheduled and that your child will be nurtured and provided with an
excellent head start to their education. We absolutely take the protection
and care of your child as our most important duty."

###

Jessica

Jessica E. Barnes

Town Clerk