[RP Town Announce] Pepco Summer Storm Prep

Jessica Barnes jbarnes at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Fri May 26 13:57:47 UTC 2017

PEPCO SUMMER STORM PREP

The beginning of hurricane season is just a few days away. As residents of the Mid-Atlantic region, we're susceptible to hurricanes and severe weather that can be potentially devastating to our communities. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), 5 to 8 named storms are predicted to make landfall in the United States during the 2017 hurricane season.

We know all too well that hurricanes and storms have the potential to disrupt lives by causing power outages and damage to buildings and homes from downed trees or flooding. We want you to know that are ready for these major storms.

Our storm preparation efforts include implementing a planned, strategic response to restoring service as quickly and safely as possible. This includes:

*         Providing new customers with information on how to prepare for storms and potential power outages, such as our "Storm Prep Handbook" available at pepco.com/stormprep. You can call Customer Care at 800-375-7117 to request a copy via mail.

*         Planning for additional personnel and resources, as needed, to restore service after a major storm. As an Exelon utility, we are able to share resources with Baltimore Gas and Electric, PECO and Delmarva Power, which allows us to respond to storms faster and more cost-effectively.

*         Working with local government, public safety personnel and first responders through our Emergency Services Partnership Program to respond quickly, safely and effectively to emergencies

Over the past five years we've also made significant improvements to our infrastructure.

*         Upgraded more than 5,116 wood cross-arms to stronger fiber glass cross-arms on utility poles to make them more resistant to damage

*         Installed more than 579 advanced switches which help us isolate outages and restore power to customers quicker if it does go out

*         Replaced hundreds of miles of power lines with sturdier, more resilient wire and trimmed trees along hundreds of miles of power lines

Our employees prepare for the possibility of storm-related power outages by regularly participating in emergency drills. We maintain a supply of essential equipment, such as poles, wires and transformers. And we communicate and coordinate with other utilities so that we have the ability to quickly request their assistance if needed.

Help us spread the word about emergency preparedness to your constituents, our customers, by sharing a few helpful links so we can all be weather-ready:

*         Pepco Storm Prep Handbook: pepco.com/storm<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.pepco.com_storm&d=DwMFAg&c=Gp5PoQfTj9yjDt8XV2x6aql0UnCZXhNkdBYbfDClWas&r=jsCskyT3l1H4X-yyl7dUojikuqFzaKpheamU-dSAFFXtCwHXnRbuVpEVgabOVdCr&m=TH4kg6zJuMM7hqK3tzsAUlTkmZtOOybeP3z5EIPZ15w&s=D-dqqZbjTmyNWe8L0omW-SVYwQ8ZlrGteKGv4oZ_gQ8&e=>prep
*         Report an outage online: pepco.com/reportoutage<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.pepco.com_reportoutage&d=DwMFAg&c=Gp5PoQfTj9yjDt8XV2x6aql0UnCZXhNkdBYbfDClWas&r=jsCskyT3l1H4X-yyl7dUojikuqFzaKpheamU-dSAFFXtCwHXnRbuVpEVgabOVdCr&m=TH4kg6zJuMM7hqK3tzsAUlTkmZtOOybeP3z5EIPZ15w&s=fRLJ45Z0fW_NxsTw9fhhxng0-IyGRJd5MsbnZeKUxns&e=>
*         Track the restoration process with our outage map: pepco.com/outagemap<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.pepco.com_outagemap&d=DwMFAg&c=Gp5PoQfTj9yjDt8XV2x6aql0UnCZXhNkdBYbfDClWas&r=jsCskyT3l1H4X-yyl7dUojikuqFzaKpheamU-dSAFFXtCwHXnRbuVpEVgabOVdCr&m=TH4kg6zJuMM7hqK3tzsAUlTkmZtOOybeP3z5EIPZ15w&s=cEYSCmRrnoEM3QvoXBF2zQBnLw3Sd3-H9ZbJ_JDzaWU&e=>
*         Download the Pepco Mobile App: pepco.com/mobileapp<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.pepco.com_mobileapp&d=DwMFAg&c=Gp5PoQfTj9yjDt8XV2x6aql0UnCZXhNkdBYbfDClWas&r=jsCskyT3l1H4X-yyl7dUojikuqFzaKpheamU-dSAFFXtCwHXnRbuVpEVgabOVdCr&m=TH4kg6zJuMM7hqK3tzsAUlTkmZtOOybeP3z5EIPZ15w&s=wIk4bhdTJLHMDOFMOQ3emx_N90PC9QFSn8R2GNw3HU0&e=>

Also for informational purposes I am including a media release from NOAA: http://www.noaa.gov/media-release/noaa-predicts-near-or-above-normal-2017-central-pacific-hurricane-season<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.noaa.gov_media-2Drelease_noaa-2Dpredicts-2Dnear-2Dor-2Dabove-2Dnormal-2D2017-2Dcentral-2Dpacific-2Dhurricane-2Dseason&d=DwMFAg&c=Gp5PoQfTj9yjDt8XV2x6aql0UnCZXhNkdBYbfDClWas&r=jsCskyT3l1H4X-yyl7dUojikuqFzaKpheamU-dSAFFXtCwHXnRbuVpEVgabOVdCr&m=TH4kg6zJuMM7hqK3tzsAUlTkmZtOOybeP3z5EIPZ15w&s=jY5Z0Rtp_ouA33wUuAVEpmpwu3XlmSRrKUs1ziT0quo&e=>

Jessica
Jessica E. Barnes
Town Clerk
Riverdale Park