[RP Town Announce] Circuit Court for Prince George's County Newsletter - May 2018

Jessica Barnes jbarnes at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Fri May 18 15:52:17 UTC 2018

Foster Youth Symposium, Veterans Appreciation Ceremony and Muster, Juror Appreciation Week

[circuit court for prince georges county newsletter]

May 2018

Greetings from
The Honorable Sheila R. Tillerson Adams
Administrative Judge of the Circuit Court for Prince George's County

Welcome to the May edition of the Circuit Court for Prince George's County Newsletter!

Enclosed, you'll learn about the phenomenal Prince George's County Foster Youth Symposium: Getting to Y.E.S. (Youth Experiencing Success) led by Magistrate Althea R. Stewart Jones; the Circuit Court for Prince George's County's Ninth Annual Veterans Appreciation Ceremony and Muster chaired by the Honorable Dorothy M. Engel and lastly, the Circuit Court for Prince George's County celebration of jurors during Juror Appreciation Week.

For up-to-date information, be sure to visit our website at www.princegeorgescourts.org<http://www.princegeorgescourts.org> or on Instagram at princegeorgescty_circuitcourt.

Enjoy!

________________________________
________________________________
[FYS 2]
Honorable Sheila R. Tillerson Adams, Administrative Judge of the Circuit Court for Prince George's County and Magistrate Althea R. Stewart Jones
Circuit Court for Prince George's County
Foster Youth Symposium:
Getting to Y.E.S. (Youth Experiencing Success)

On May 11, 2018, the Circuit Court for Prince George's County Model Court Team sponsored the Foster Youth Symposium: Getting to Y.E.S. (Youth Experiencing Success) for older youth transitioning out of the foster care system.  The symposium involved a combination of PowerPoint presentations, panel discussions and breakout sessions.  Presenters provided information on the demographics of the foster care population on a local, state and national level and how our transitioning foster youth are faring compared to other foster youth in the state and on a national level.  The panels and breakout sessions focused on housing, education and employment options for our youth.

Some highlights of the symposium included hearing from several of our current foster youth as well as young adults who have aged out of the system.  State legislators, Senator Joanne C. Benson, Delegate Elizabeth G. (Susie) Proctor and Delegate C.T. Wilson provided some legislative highlights from the past session and gave the charge to the child welfare stakeholders to continue the important work involving our foster youth. The legislators spoke to our foster youth and reminded them of their importance in this world and that they can do anything they set their minds to.  When asked what they liked most about the symposium on the exit survey, one participant wrote "Literally everything! It was very thought-provoking and I received information about lots of resources."

The symposium was planned and implemented by the Better Outcomes for Our Older and Transitioning Youth Committee which is chaired by Magistrate Althea R. Stewart Jones.

"I believe that everyone left the symposium armed with information needed to move our foster youth forward in becoming more self-sufficient and independent," said Magistrate Jones. "We still have some work to do. Our work is not over until every foster youth has a permanent home, a good education, employed or in school. The symposium provided that additional information and inspiration. I know I'm more determined than ever to help pull resources together to get to Y.E.S. for our foster youth. Our committee will be calling on our panelists and others to help us in this cause."
[VAC]
Circuit Court for Prince George's County
Ninth Annual Veterans Appreciation
Ceremony and Muster

On Thursday, May 17, 2018, the Circuit Court for Prince George's County saluted veterans and their families during the Ninth Annual Veterans Appreciation Ceremony and Muster. The ceremony was held at the Circuit Court for Prince George's County.

"The annual celebration remains one of the hallmarks at the Circuit Court for Prince George's County and the community," said the Honorable Sheila R. Tillerson Adams, Administrative Judge of the Circuit Court for Prince George's County. "Without the selfless actions of our veterans - and their support systems - we wouldn't be able to exercise and enjoy our liberties, and for that, I thank you. Additionally, I would like to thank the Honorable Dorothy M. Engel for leading the committee in honoring our local veterans."

During the ceremony, local veterans were honored for their service. Each veteran received a medal and a certificate of appreciation.

"I'm truly excited about the Circuit Court for Prince George's County Veterans Appreciation Ceremony and Muster," added Judge Engel, an Associate Judge of the Circuit Court for Prince George's County and U.S. Army veteran. "I would like to thank all of the veterans and active duty service men and women for proudly safeguarding our country and its freedoms. As a veteran, I was honored to stand side-by-side with soldiers from all religions, races, genders and creeds who had one goal in mind: protecting and serving the land we love."

In addition to her service, Judge Engel is the spouse of a veteran.

"As we uplift this year's theme, "Honoring Our Veterans and Their Families," I applaud the family members who remain an integral part and firm foundation for the many men and women who are deployed and the ancillary journey they take in supporting both the troops and their households. We salute you and thank you for your unwavering support."

________________________________
________________________________
Circuit Court for Prince George's County Recognizes Juror Appreciation Week

In recognition of Juror Appreciation Week, May 7-11, 2018, the Circuit Court for Prince George's County celebrated jurors and their important contributions to Prince George's County, the courts and the judicial system.

"Our system of justice could not function without the dedicated service of our citizens and jurors," said the Honorable Sheila R. Tillerson Adams, Administrative Judge of the Circuit Court for Prince George's County. "Although I recognize it is a tremendous sacrifice and sometimes even a hardship, their commitment to the judicial system is what makes our system the best in the world. It is important to set aside a week to collectively say thank you to our jurors that serve. So, thank you on behalf of all the Judges of the Circuit Court for Prince George's County."

The Circuit Court for Prince George's County jury operations are led by Judge Adams, Judge Robin D. Gill Bright, Deputy Court Administrator and Jury Commissioner Erica M. Payne-Santiago, Deputy Jury Commissioner Melissa L. Biggs, Jury Division Supervisor Magella Kincaid and the Jury Divison staff.

"Serving as a juror is an honorable, civic responsibility bestowed upon citizens throughout our community. It is how each one of us provides access to justice for all. Our jury service system is important to democracy because of the unbiased, impartial views that can be derived by our citizens during a trial," added Ms. Payne-Santiago.

________________________________
________________________________
[Upcoming Events]

  *   Memorial Day (Courts Closed): Monday, May 28
  *   2018 Reunification Celebration: Tuesday, June 5
  *   The Judiciary Project: A Courthouse Experience - Francis Scott Key Elementary School: Friday, June 8

[Prince George's County Seal]

Subscriber Services: Manage<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTgwNTE3Ljg5OTM0MDYxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE4MDUxNy44OTkzNDA2MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3OTc2MTM5JmVtYWlsaWQ9a3NpbXBzb25Acml2ZXJkYWxlcGFya21kLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9a3NpbXBzb25Acml2ZXJkYWxlcGFya21kLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/MDPGC/subscriber/edit?preferences=true#tab1> | Help<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTgwNTE3Ljg5OTM0MDYxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE4MDUxNy44OTkzNDA2MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3OTc2MTM5JmVtYWlsaWQ9a3NpbXBzb25Acml2ZXJkYWxlcGFya21kLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9a3NpbXBzb25Acml2ZXJkYWxlcGFya21kLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&101&&&https://subscriberhelp.govdelivery.com/>

Subscriber or Web Questions? Contact County Click 3-1-1<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTgwNTE3Ljg5OTM0MDYxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE4MDUxNy44OTkzNDA2MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3OTc2MTM5JmVtYWlsaWQ9a3NpbXBzb25Acml2ZXJkYWxlcGFya21kLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9a3NpbXBzb25Acml2ZXJkYWxlcGFya21kLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&102&&&http://countyclick.princegeorgescountymd.gov/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery>

[Bookmark and Share]<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTgwNTE3Ljg5OTM0MDYxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE4MDUxNy44OTkzNDA2MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3OTc2MTM5JmVtYWlsaWQ9a3NpbXBzb25Acml2ZXJkYWxlcGFya21kLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9a3NpbXBzb25Acml2ZXJkYWxlcGFya21kLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&103&&&https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MDPGC/bulletins/1f07ade?reqfrom=share>

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTgwNTE3Ljg5OTM0MDYxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE4MDUxNy44OTkzNDA2MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3OTc2MTM5JmVtYWlsaWQ9a3NpbXBzb25Acml2ZXJkYWxlcGFya21kLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9a3NpbXBzb25Acml2ZXJkYWxlcGFya21kLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&104&&&https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MDPGC/bulletins/1f07ade>.

This email was sent to ksimpson at riverdaleparkmd.gov<mailto:ksimpson at riverdaleparkmd.gov> using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: Prince George's County Maryland * 14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive * Upper Marlboro, MD 20772-3050 * 3-1-1 (inside County) or 301-883-4748 (outside County)

[GovDelivery logo]<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTgwNTE3Ljg5OTM0MDYxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE4MDUxNy44OTkzNDA2MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3OTc2MTM5JmVtYWlsaWQ9a3NpbXBzb25Acml2ZXJkYWxlcGFya21kLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9a3NpbXBzb25Acml2ZXJkYWxlcGFya21kLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&105&&&https://insights.govdelivery.com/Communications/Subscriber_Help_Center>