[RP Town Announce] Hurricane Preparedness

Jessica Barnes jbarnes at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Wed Sep 12 13:16:56 UTC 2018

Important notification from Alert Prince George's.

There is a possibility that Hurricane Florence could significantly impact our region. We are encouraging everyone to prepare for the storm. Residents and business owners in flood prone areas should take proper precautions for the protection of their families and property.

What Should You Do?
The most important thing you can do during hurricane season is to get yourself, your family and your home prepared. Some highlights on how to prepare and take action:

Stay informed.

  *   Sign up for Alert Prince George's<http://alert.mypgc.us/>.
  *   Know if you live in a coastal flooding zone with Know Your Zone<https://mema.maryland.gov/Pages/know-your-zone-md.aspx>.
  *   Know if you live in an evacuation area and assess your risks and know your home's vulnerability to storm surge, flooding, and wind
  *   Review the Centers for Disease Control's (CDC) health considerations before, during, and after a storm<http://www.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/index.html>. Review the FEMA Evacuation Guidelines<http://www.ready.gov/evacuating-yourself-and-your-family> to allow for enough time to pack and inform friends and family if you need to leave your home.

Plan and Take Action- Prepare for the unexpected.

  *   Develop an Emergency Plan for your family<https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/20130726-1802-25045-8711/familyemergencyplan.pdf> and for your pets<https://www.ready.gov/animals>.
  *   Put together a basic disaster supplies kit<https://www.ready.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/checklist3.pdf> (water, change of clothes, snacks, flashlight, etc.).
  *   Recover- Wait until an area is declared safe before returning home.
The following resources are available to help prepare  for the risks and to act on those preparations when alerted by emergency officials:

  *   FEMA - Are You Ready? Guide<http://www.ready.gov/are-you-ready-guide>
  *   National Weather Service Weather Safety<http://www.weather.gov/safety.php>
  *   Be a Force of Nature with NOAA's Weather-Ready Nation<https://www.weather.gov/wrn/force>
  *   NWS Storm-Ready Sites & Communities<http://www.nws.noaa.gov/stormready/>