[RP TownTalk] Ward 1 race

Regina Kreger regina at kreger.net
Mon Aug 29 17:49:33 UTC 2005

I do think it's important to be able to probe the candidates' positions in public forum, where all interested voters can read and participate.  On the other hand, you have a point - especially since this is such a new list, the campaign could potentially very much dominate it.  Perhaps a candidates' forum could be set up - not necessarily on town webspace - for all 4, + anyone else who decides to run.  It wouldn't avoid argument, but then a healthy debate can be helpful to voters in judging among candidates. Could be a good format.  It's unscripted, in that the voters can post any questions or challenges they want.  But it's an "open-book test" - candidates can take time to think through their answers and how best to phrase their messages.  Perhaps a ground rule could be that only voters get to challenge candidates, candidates do not directly question each other.  Each candidate could have a little space for a simple platform, and link to their own more elaborate pages.  But I'm not a geek and wouldn't know how to go about setting something like that up.  Is there a citizen out there who knows how and would be willing to host it?  Preferably someone less opinionated, or at least less loudly opinionated, than I am!  And someone all the candidates could agree on moderating.

In the meantime, until something election-specific could be set up, hopefully positions could be discussed on this list without ripping one another apart.

***On the election itself, though, can Vernon or someone else answer the question as to whether Tracey's replacement will chair the Economic Development Committee?  Also, do we have a date for a special election?  And will there be an interim appointment, as Tracey was appointed by Mr. Tiberio to serve out Chris Davis's term before being elected in her own right?  Anything else we should know about this transition?  Of course, Tracey may not even know yet when she will be moving out of town, so if answers to some questions are not yet available please just keep in mind to post them when they do become known.

Thanks
Regina