[RP TownTalk] Candidates on TownTalk (was Re: Elementary school districts are changing)

Alan K. Thompson twacks at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 10:27:55 UTC 2005

We discussed this issue on ComTalk earlier, and there seemed to be a
consensus that the town should have lists for political discussion of
candidates, but some details were never hammered out.  One idea was to
just let it happen on TownTalk for this special election, and then
decide based on the experience what to do for future elections (i.e.
should there be a dedicated list for all electioneering, a newly
created list for each campaign, ...).  The Town Council didn't weigh
in on the issue, at least partially because I wasn't at the meeting
where Tracey resigned and the council COULD take action to present the
idea, so we're muddling through this election, and can work on it
after the dust settles.

I (speaking as myself, not in any official capacity) think it would be
great to have no-holds-barred lists for discussing candidates, getting
them to answer questions, etc.  It would allow for two-way public
discussion (where candidates have to stake out positions on tough
issues to everyone at once) in a way that doesn't exist right now.
But, at least for this election, we don't have that ability.

Alan