[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 5, Issue 2

Jack R. Jones jrjones at smart2.net
Sat Dec 3 08:46:59 UTC 2005

Jack here:

For those wondering why the Chapter 3 is there, this is the item that
precipitated the Code addition. I am a member of the Board of
Trustees for the Henry George Foundation of America, one of my duties
is to inform the public of the tax reforms that the organization
lobbies for around the world at National, State, County, Municipal
levels of government and to the General Public. HGFA had offered to
pay the additional cost for printing, inserting, and delivering the
document with the Town Crier. The mayor prohibited its publication.
Two councilmembers worked to get a code for submittals that curtailed
her imperious abuse of the executive power. The code did end up
prohibiting the publishing of the document, as the two councilmen
could not get a majority to permit informing the public of interest
and concern to them.

                      The Riverdale Observer

                                   Why Good Buildings Go Bad

	The residents of Riverdale Park have watched the buildings in
the Town Center, the Route 1, and the Kenilworth Avenue areas
deteriorate over the past twenty years. They have been disheartened
in the past and despaired of improving the area. Take note there is
something that can be done to make these buildings turn good again.

	The reason these buildings have gone bad is because building
owners are PUNISHED FOR DOING THE RIGHT THING, improving their
building.The building owner is also REWARDED FOR DOING THE WRONG
THING, letting their building go to ruin. How is this punishment and
reward done? It is done with the property tax that is actually two
taxes, a tax on buildings and a tax on land. The tax on buildings is
an economically harmful tax, because it discourages building
improvements, the higher this tax is the faster buildings go bad. On
the other hand the tax on land is economically beneficial as it
encourages highest and best use of land. The higher it is up to near
the annual rental value of the land the more it encourages highest
and best use.

	The combination of a high building tax and a low land tax
would make the buildings go bad even faster than they do now with an
equal tax rate. The only way to get the correct incentives are to
lower the building tax and to raise the land tax. To get the full
benefit the building tax rate should be lowered to zero per cent
while raising the land value tax to near one hundred per cent of the
annual rental value of the land.

	In Maryland, Incorporated Municipalities can split the rates
with buildings and other improvement having one rate, while land has
a different rate. This split rate can be done with revenue
neutrality, with a transition period to allow people to get used to
change to good economic rules from bad economic rules.

	In Maryland the land value tax could also provide the needed
government, big enough to protect our rights and small enough that it
cannot take our rights away. The present state government could
replace all its sale taxes, which punish the poor, and half of the
present income tax that punishes productivity with a land value tax
and remains revenue neutral in its operation. The improved economy
from such an action and the increased revenues could be used as a
citizen's land tax refund that could be added to the refund that also
could be offered locally.

	The possibilities are here for citizens to change the economy
so the unfair tax laws do not take from them the rightful products of
their own labor. The citizen needs to let their local and state
officials know that they want this fair tax system and they want it
now, public officials will do what they need to do to stay in office.
Enough citizens asking for tax reform will give the officials the
courage to make the reform. If you the citizens will affect this
change, these are the benefits to be expected.

                                       Benefits To Be Expected:

*	The land value tax is the most economically neutral form of
revenue collection.  It is most neutral when all levels of government
(local, state, federal) services are limited to those in which all
citizens benefit about equally, and the balance of the land value tax
is returned to the citizens in equal shares as a land tax refund.

*	The best economic use of land is encouraged because unused
and underused land adjacent to best use land would pay the same land
value tax.  More efficient transportation networks, and utility
infrastructure is also encouraged.  However, for full effect, repeal
of suburban subsidies is required.  This is needed because land value
reflects efficient economics in that it is less expensive to build
within and up than it is to build outwards.

*	It can improve economic productiveness by replacing the
income tax, which punishes labor for production; the property tax,
which punishes capital for production; and the sales tax, which
punishes those who engage in economic exchange.

*	It is an easy to administer tax, since it is easier to assess
land than improvements.  Also, it only involves the land title
holders, which are less in number than workers or consumers.  The tax
can be collected as property tax is presently collected, as these
systems are more effective and efficient than income or sales tax
collection systems.

*	The land tax refund will serve as an irreducible income that
can be used to defray the inequity of the income tax between
individuals and corporations, to defray the regressiveness of the
sales tax, and/or as a social catastrophe insurance for those who are
landless and perhaps jobless.

*	The Land Value Tax/Land Tax Refund system will curb boom and
bust cycles in the economy, driven by real estate speculation.

Respectfully Submitted, April 1999			for more
information, contact

Jack R. Jones						Joshua Vincent
4715 Rittenhouse Street					HGFA/CSE
Riverdale Park, MD 20737				1422 Chesnut
Street, Suite 413
301-277-2242						Philadelphia, PA 19102

>Message: 2
>Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:05:10 -0500
>From: Gerard Kiernan <gerardkiernan at earthlink.net>
>

>Clearly, I would not be seeking the repeal of this law had it worked out
>well in practice.  The very reason for the existence of the Crier is to
>allow the town government to effectively communicate with residents. You
>elect a mayor and council to work on your behalf and part of doing that
>effectively is communicating town policies and actions to the community. Can
>you depend on that occurring if the mayor and council CANNOT exercise
>authority over the Crier?  Chapter 3 forbids any elected official to
>"direct" the editor or publisher (the town administrator functions as the
>publisher) about ANYTHING regarding the Crier.

Jack again:

The Code misses the right of the populace to be heard by requiring a
majority to approve a publication...a better approach would be to
follow the concept of the Maryland Declaration of Rights, Article 23
"In the trial of all criminal cases, the Jury shall be the Judges of
Law, as well as of fact, except that the Court may pass upon the
sufficiency of the evidence to sustain a conviction."

The Common Law Jury is composed of 12 jurors, which have to be in
unanimous decision to convict.
One person can stop a prosecution if they feel the law is unjust or
that the facts are not convincing.

We could use a similar idea in that, when the Mayor or Council wants
to restrict a document from publication their decision must be
unanimous...if one of them is in favor of publication then the
document shall be published. That is 1 in 7 not as good as 1 in 12
but moving to ward the freedom of the people as put forth in the
Declaration of Independence.

"...Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established
should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly
all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer,
while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing
the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of
abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a
design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it
is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new
Guards for their future security...."

For those who were wondering what was missing in the ellipsis in the
Declaration of Independence at the Jefferson Memorial it is the bit
above governments seem to have a hang up about admitting that the
right to govern live solely in the people. Even on a Document so
basic as the Declaration of Independence, some one responsible for
the memorial was attempting to grab the power from the people. The
price of Liberty IS eternal vigilance.

And regarding the comments on the previous editor Tracy Toscano won
the election by 80% and Jack Jones got 20% running against both side.
Both of them support Rob Oppenheim for Ward 1 that sounds like 100%
in my books. As for the infractions, as I tell the students in my
Homeschool Soccer Class..."Don't let perfection get in the way of
your achieving excellence"

Or as David advises me, be brief. In a few words "David right, Gerry wrong"

--
"We have met the enemy, and he is us!" Pogo Possum
http://theriverdaleobserver.blogspot.com