[RP TownTalk] Chapter 3 matter

johnferg27 at aol.com johnferg27 at aol.com
Tue Dec 6 02:57:26 UTC 2005

The information Jack Jones sent to TownTalk as a reason for the enactment of
a Code chapter to oversee the publication of the TownCrier is not accurate.

The passage of Chapter 3 was not connected with Mr. Jones effort to insert
Land Value Tax material into the TownCrier.  Chapter 3 was politically motivated
and had nothing to do with Mr. Jones' request.  In fact, I cannot find
anything in his material that would be an advantage or a disadvantage to anyone in
office at that time.  Therefore, refusing to insert it into the Town's official
newsletter was done for another reason.

As the elected Mayor of the Town, I made that decision and my reasoning
follows:  In reviewing Mr. Jones' request I recognized that this was not a good
idea and would set a precedent that could create future problems.  Any
information sent out with the TownCrier has an implied endorsement by the Mayor and
Council and we were not considering adoption of the Land Value Tax concept.
Therefore, it would be wrong to confuse residents by including a promotion of the
concept in the official publication of the Town.  To carry this a step further,
consider if a request were made to insert material from a religious or
political organization hoping to gain supporters to its cause-certainly it would be
determined that such inserts did not belong in the Town's newsletter.

The TownCrier has a single purpose, that is to inform residents of matters
that affect their daily lives - Public Works schedules, Police Department
activities, Town Office services and hours.  Beyond that purpose, it is appropriate
to cover matters that have happened or will be happening in the Town.
Personality profiles and achievements of town staff and residents along with Town
history and local recreational events are other topics appropriate for inclusion
in the Town's newsletter.

That's the point - it is a newsletter, not a newspaper such as the Post which
prints all sorts of paid advertising to cover its costs.  Mr. Jones had every
right to publish his information in an independent newsletter that he could
have prepared, printed and hand delivered or mailed as was done in the 1970s
and '80s with the publication of PostScript and The Voice.  It would be wrong
for Mr. Jones to rely on the taxpayer supported Town newsletter to deliver his
material along with the implied endorsement such delivery would carry with it.

                       Ann Ferguson