[RP TownTalk] Access for All in the Town Crier

Rob Oppenheim rob.oppenheim at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 17:54:47 UTC 2005

All our points of view belong in the Town Crier, after all, it is paid for by all the tax payers.

I encouraged multiple points of view by asking people to submit letters to the editor, and
I sought out diversity in companion articles and in candidate forums, sometimes over the
strong objection of politicians.

Chapter 3 of the Town Code appropriately guarantees elected officials the majority
of the Crier space. The mayor, council persons and town staff are free to write
whatever they wish and are able to decline any editing. The council can also dictate
Crier policy by modifying Chapter 3

No individual, politician or otherwise, should be able to totally exclude other voices.
Chapter 3 needs a grievance procedure that starts with (1) talking to the editor,
then (2) talking to the town administrator, then (3) going before the mayor and
council for resolution.

I hope that future Crier editors have the strength of character along with the shield
of Chapter 3 to make a Crier with diverse points of view. We have no need to fear
such expression, as Thomas Jefferson said: "Error of opinion may be tolerated
where reason is left free to combat it."

-Rob Oppenheim
Former Town Crier Editor
Current Ward One Council Candidate

Note to Ward One: please remember to vote *** tomorrow ***
Saturday, Dec. 10, 2005, Town Hall, 8 am - 8 pm.