[RP TownTalk] How to Avoid Run Off Elections

Alan Thompson and Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Wed Dec 14 14:24:53 UTC 2005

[Sarah here, speaking only for myself]

When the "runoff to assure a majority vote" legislation was originally
submitted, the author (Alan Thompson) strongly urged the council to
consider adopting some form of Instant Runoff Voting at a later time.

There are a number of different forms of Instant Runoffs, any of which
would help us avoid the current (bad) situation. Takoma Park's legislation
looks like a great place to start.

My one concern regards complexity. We have voters who have a difficult
time understanding the current ballot format. Example: In the last
election, two ballots were thrown out because the voters put an X next to
their favorite candidate and then signed on the "Write In Candidate" line.

I think people would get the idea if we work hard to educate them before
they get to the polls, but it will be an effort.

Just a thought.

And please don't misunderstand me: I STRONGLY support allowing an instant
runoff.

-Sarah