[RP TownTalk] The "Instant Run Off"

Jack R. Jones jrjones at smart2.net
Thu Dec 15 06:15:58 UTC 2005

Dear Jonah, et al

The article I link to at The Riverdale Observer talks about the
instant "run off" (IRV). It is my least favorite because it only
provides a majority candidate, where as the Borda Count and Approval
Count give a Broad Consensus Majority.

To illustrate the IRV takes the top two contenders and then
redistributes the votes from the third place (three candidates in
election), I think in a multiple candidate race the last place
candidate is dropped and the votes are redistributed, then the last
is dropped and so on until there are two candidates, one of which has
the majority. I also dislike my votes for some one being given to
some one I did not want in the earlier round of votes.

An other illustration is one of the LP elections for National Chair,
there were eight candidates which each voter ranked, the candidates
were of such generally good qualifications that there was not a
majority for any until the fifth round of votes (fifth level of
approval). The Party found its consensus majority candidate in a
group of five instead of a simple majority in a group of two.

I think the Borda and Approval methods give a better sense of the
People's Will than the Instant Run Off; keeping in mind that the
first two are just as Instant (with out vote transfers) as the IRV
(which transfers votes from one candidate to another)

We need the voting reform, even the IRV, which I like less than Borda
or Approval, would be many times preferable to our current system.

Sincerely,
Jack
--
"We have met the enemy, and he is us!" Pogo Possum
http://theriverdaleobserver.blogspot.com