[RP TownTalk] To Set The Record Straight

johnferg27 at aol.com johnferg27 at aol.com
Fri Nov 11 01:55:16 UTC 2005

Reading the history of the TownCrier in J. Jones' e-mail got my attention
because:

    1.  The TownCrier began publication in the late 1960s and has continued
(as a Town
          publication) since that time with NO INTERRUPTION.

    2.  An independent newsletter was published by Citizens for Open
Government (COG)
          beginning in 1988 (approximately)  -- it had no connection to the
          official town newsletter.  An earlier publication called P.S. was
published in the
          1970s.

    3.  The TownCrier accepted Letters to the Editor for the entire 12 years
I was in the
          Mayor's office -- ALL LETTERS  were published during my tenure,
including letters
          that criticized me and/or my administration..  It was the
administration that followed,
          beginning in June 2001, that ended the opportunity for residents to
write in
          their comments.  A sad happening . . .

Any reader who would like to verify the facts regarding the TownCrier and the
publication of Letters to the Editor up through June of 2001 can do so at the
Town Hall -- a record copy of every issue of the newsletter beginning with
the 1960s was kept in binders that should be readily shown to anyone who comes
in to request access.  Regarding the independent newsletters I referred to
above, I believe record copies were provided to the Main Library on Adelphi Road
and they may be available in the Maryland Room at that facility.

      Ann Ferguson