[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 3, Issue 11

Jack R. Jones jrjones at smart2.net
Mon Oct 24 04:42:09 UTC 2005

Sent again as requested, for those who missed it.

Jack R. Jones here.

My thoughts on messages below. There is no threat in David's remark,
the reality is if it ain't here and you want it you have to go
elsewhere. And Rob, "So here is some oil for troubled waters, or
perhaps gasoline on a spark?" High Class, yes people need to learn to
relax and appreciate heterogeneity.

No Riverdale Coffee Depot; I make my own or go to College Perk
(similar feel to the place). There are also many more places to go
have coffee. I think there are Class issues and Economic issues and
they are different. I appreciate someone who is educated enough to
throw an insult at me with Shakespearean, Greek, Roman, Celtic Myth
overtones but just to say I am stupid, is just low class. Telling me
I am monosynaptic, that is High Class. On the economic side I shop at
Glut because they consider Giant their competition, where as MOM's is
selling to a niche organic market and I go into cardiac arrest when I
see their prices. I will go where ever I can to get what I want at a
cost we can afford (one income family) and yes I figure membership
fees and the drive distance, and the time as well as the price.

I think the Dutch Football School method of teaching soccer is the
best all round approach. I spent 4-5 years trying to persuade
Riverdale Boys and Girls Club to actively support it and to establish
separate sports and a general budget. They fired me from the RBGC
Board, no problem...Hyattsville/Mount Rainier/Brentwood Boys and
Girls Club invited me to come and train there young parents and
children in the Dutch Football School (DFS) method and help run their
4v4 league.

My DFS Homeschool Soccer Program was not allowed to continue in the
Riverdale Community Building by Mayor Tiberio/Council and Mayor
Archer/Council, no problem...I have an invite to go to New
Carrollton, but I am checking Hyattsville and College Park for a
closer facility, mean while I am using a MNCPPC park.

I have been advocating a revenue neutral tax switch from the current
building/land tax to a straight land tax through four different
mayors and councils and to the community in general. While the switch
at present would raise my taxes there are 500-600 residents and
businesses that would pay less plus the switch would cause the an
improvement to the local economy as it has done where ever it has
been adopted. Were any nearby town adopt it I would certainly be part
of their economic improvement, because Riverdale Parks economy would
fall behind even more than it is now.

Finally, all of the towns inside the beltway are to small to be
economically efficient because of the high marginal costs of
providing public service. Were Brentwood, Mount Rainier, Hyattsville,
University Park, College Park, Edmonston, Riverdale Park (Route 1
Corridor towns) to merge into one city that has a population of
75,000 to 150,000 then the population would be in the range required
to achieve optimum efficiency. This is the area I opperate in, there
is no way Riverdale Park can compete and be the ideal town.
Cooperation is the only way to advance. If I am provincial, then it
is for this area, not Riverdale Park which needs to be considered as
part of the whole.

Cooperation is the only way to advance. This was a major lesson I
learned in the community of 250 in Weems, Virginia. It really did not
matter whether you liked a person or hated them, you both would not
be better off unless you cooperated.

Maintain your cool,
Jack R. Jones

--
"We have met the enemy, and he is us!" Pogo Possum
http://theriverdaleobserver.blogspot.com