[RP TownTalk] Field of Dreams Meeting

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Mon Oct 24 05:00:08 UTC 2005

> I have not heard anything about the Field Of Dreams meeting
> which took place on Oct 17. What happened?

About 10 or 15 came to the forum.  The format was 100% public comment.
 The consensus of the meeting was that the town should explore the
costs of various concrete improvements to the site such as adding
dedicated parking, maintenance of portable bathroom facility,
improvement of trash pickup, etc., and that we gather data on the
frequency of use of the field and the time horizon that we can depend
that it will continue to be used as open space.

Some sort of committee may be set up to gather this data, which will
inform any future council action.

Such actions come down to deciding whether or not we as a town are
committed to keeping the field operating as a playing space.  If so,
improvements may be warranted, as usage levels are high.  Neighbors of
the field estimated that it was being used 6 times a week during the
last spring and summer.

That and the recent referendum argue in favor of keeping the field as
a playing space.  There is also to be a great deal of development to
the north of the field, which is going to force us to address parking
and traffic issues, while perhaps also arguing in favor of maintaining
some open space at that location.

Again, no decisions were made, but the consensus to gather data and
consider improvements was communicated to the mayor and council.

No one spoke in favor of selling the field for development.