[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 3, Issue 15

Jack R. Jones jrjones at smart2.net
Tue Oct 25 04:53:17 UTC 2005

Jack here:

Did any one speak to the inadequate size of the field: A regulation
football field will not fit on it. It is a couple yards short on the
north side of allowing the smallest regulation 11 v. 11 soccer field.
It would take the wooded area and the grass area to the north to get
a full size regulation 11 v 11 soccer field (which to my knowledge
none exist in Prince George's county). Soccer fields are in short
supply relative to the popularity of the sport in our area.

Any talk of expanding it to a reasonable sized sport park with a
wooded border and storage, classroom, and bathroom facilities.

Something we could be proud of offering to our inner beltway community.

>Message: 8
>Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 01:00:08 -0400
>From: Roland Walker <walker at pobox.com>
>Subject: Re: [RP TownTalk] Field of Dreams Meeting
>To: TownTalk at riverdale-park.org
>
>>  I have not heard anything about the Field Of Dreams meeting
>>  which took place on Oct 17. What happened?
>
>About 10 or 15 came to the forum.  The format was 100% public comment.
>  The consensus of the meeting was that the town should explore the
>costs of various concrete improvements to the site such as adding
>dedicated parking, maintenance of portable bathroom facility,
>improvement of trash pickup, etc., and that we gather data on the
>frequency of use of the field and the time horizon that we can depend
>that it will continue to be used as open space.
>
>Some sort of committee may be set up to gather this data, which will
>inform any future council action.
>
>Such actions come down to deciding whether or not we as a town are
>committed to keeping the field operating as a playing space.  If so,
>improvements may be warranted, as usage levels are high.  Neighbors of
>the field estimated that it was being used 6 times a week during the
>last spring and summer.
>
>That and the recent referendum argue in favor of keeping the field as
>a playing space.  There is also to be a great deal of development to
>the north of the field, which is going to force us to address parking
>and traffic issues, while perhaps also arguing in favor of maintaining
>some open space at that location.
>
>Again, no decisions were made, but the consensus to gather data and
>consider improvements was communicated to the mayor and council.
>
>No one spoke in favor of selling the field for development.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us!" Pogo Possum
http://theriverdaleobserver.blogspot.com