[RP TownTalk] Electioneering on Town Talk

Jack R. Jones jrjones at smart2.net
Tue Sep 6 04:17:47 UTC 2005

Dear Talkers,

I posted a response to Rob on the election campaigning, agreeing that
the electioneering should not be on TownTalk and suggesting that the
candidates do blogs for their election materials.

However, after reading Sarah's post and talking with her and doing
some thinking, I have changed my mind on the topic. What is Town Talk
or any kind of conversation other than identifying a problem and
trying getting one's solution elected to be tried.

I had (it was probably to late at night [AM]) forgotten our ancestors
of western civilization. The Greeks, for the Greeks politics is what
people do. Can you imagine this conversation between mother and child
"Now you listen to me little Aristotle, I don't want you goin down to
that Agora and talkin no politics with that republican upstart, Plato
and that democrat, old man Socrates, he be the death of us all, like
drinkin poison he is!" lil' Aristotle "Yees Mah" "OK Mah"  Yeah
right! Ooops there was lil Aristotles's essay on how teenagers,
dressed strange, sang loud new songs, did not respect their elders,
and were going to Hades in a leaky boat. Teenagers haven't changed in
2500 years, why should we change the discussion in the Agora?

Also a Blog has world wide distribution, whereas Town Talk will be
local folk talking about local problems and local solutions a more
comfortable venue, I dare say.

Latter,
Jack
--
"We have met the enemy, and he is us!" Pogo Possum
http://theriverdaleobserver.blogspot.com