[RP TownTalk] Food Co-op?

Eric eric at ickyfoot.com
Sat Apr 8 14:59:16 UTC 2006

"FWIW, I used to live 4 blocks from the Takoma Park - Silver Spring
co-op in E-W Highway, about a 15 minute drive from here. Even though
they didn't sell meat (they do, now), I was able to walk up there (or
stop on my way home) once or twice a week and get most of the stuff I need."

That's exactly why I'd love one in the downtown area here.

You raise an interesting point in terms of this possibly competing with
the farmer's market. My feeling is that farmer's market have an appeal
all their own (shopping outdoors for locally grown and shipped foods)
that a co-op can't really compete with. But it would be worth getting
some feedback to make sure it wouldn't step on any toes. I'd hate to
undermine the farmer's market.

I do think we can again look to Takoma Park here, though: their co-op
and farmer's market coexist without any problems that I'm aware of.

-E