[RP TownTalk] Land Value Tax

The Curries the.curries at verizon.net
Tue Apr 11 11:54:52 UTC 2006

As it happens, before he was mayor, Hyattsville's Bill Gardiner did a study
for his master's degree in urban planning of how LVT would impact economic
development in Hyattsville.  He found that it would have a positive impact,
but it would be slight because the municipal share of property tax is so
small.  Unless the other governments that make up the largest part of the
levy (County, State) went the same way, you can't change the dynamic much
with a municipal LVT.

Hyattsville, by the way, was the first municipality in the country to enact
the LVT -- more than 100 years ago.  Commissioner Jackson Ralston was a
disciple of visionary economist Henry George, who pioneered the concept of
land-value taxation.  Unfortunately for him and his cohort on the town
council, an opposing group sued the City and won in state court a year
later. At that time, Md. state law didn't provide for municipalities to
adopt LVT (it now does).  To add insult to injury, Ralston and his group
were voted out of office and replaced with the opposing faction in the next
election.

That history might explain why Hyattsville (and perhaps Riverdale Park?)
haven't tried to enact LVT even when there is some evidence it would have a
marginal positive impact on local development of commercial property.

Chris Currie
Hyattsville City Councilmember