[RP TownTalk] land value tax oversold

David Hiles hilesd at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 14 03:06:37 UTC 2006

My messages to this list are being moderated because I was judged to
have violated the posting standards.
************************************

LVT Straw Man* gets up off the floor, dusts himself off and says,

"I disagree that the LVT is being oversold.  I don't remember saying
that a land tax policy would influence a non-taxed landholder like the
University of Maryland.  And sorry, the LVT is not a club for beating
up certain real estate investors.  The LVT is simply one of several
tools available to shift the development balance towards a less vacant,
more dense, more interesting and successful landscape.  Like the Mixed
Use Town Center process, except on auto-pilot.

Riverdale Park is a community where the long-vacant town center is a
big deal. Some members of our community recently tried using
anti-developer graffiti as an economic development initiative.
Redevelopment is not a morality play, but just an exercise in applied
economics.  The LVT productively "tweaks" the incentives in the right
direction.  I think the LVT and community marketing are things that
should be used together. Why not use multiple tools?

Being happy that the Cafritz property is undeveloped greenspace in our
town near a major mass transit stop is a legitimate personal choice.
Translated into public policy, such a choice imposes costs on our
community and encourages sprawl. Having lots of fallow property in our
town means that the tax burden for basic services falls more heavily on
all of us who own developed property.  It also means that our services
are not as good as they could be if we were more fully developed. It
means there are fewer customers for those shops we want in the town
center.  We are greatly affected by other people's convenience in terms
of the highways and rail lines which cut through our small town.  The
LVT is a means for capturing some of that benefit for our community.

Consultants from the Maryland Land Tax Project may be available for a
presentation on how the tax could work in our community and how to deal
with some of the implementation issues raised in this discussion. If
requested by a town official, such a presentation could be held at the
town hall.  Some problems have solutions.

I think that at this point, the burden of proof falls on the defenders
of the unsuccessful status quo** strategy for economic development and
taxation."

*[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man]

**Laurence J. Peter (Peter Principle) "Bureaucracy defends the status
quo long past the time when the quo has lost its status."
Peter Senge (1999) "...collaboration is vital to sustain what we call
profound or really deep change, because without it, organizations are
just overwhelmed by the forces of the status quo."

WE are who we have been waiting for.
http://riverdalepark.blogspot.com/