[RP TownTalk] Lot size difference

Jack R. Jones jrjones at smart2.net
Sat Apr 15 00:07:10 UTC 2006

>Message: 4
>Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:50:05 -0400
>From: "Regina M. Kreger" <regina at kreger.net>
>Subject: Re: [RP TownTalk] Who pays, more or less, et cetera
>To: TownTalk at riverdale-park.org
>
>Jack R. Jones wrote:
>
>>  The reason there is not much tax difference on the residential lots is
>>  that additional land over the "standard" lot is that it is assessed as
>>  agricultural land.
>

>It is???  Cool!  So far it's just waaaay too many tomatoes, but little
>by little......... Planning on adding beans, corn, squash, melons this
>year. A few peppers and eggplants. Maybe some cucumbers.  Eventually
>fruit trees and shrubs.  Yeah.

Jack here:

The additional frontage of the larger lot requires additional road,
sidewalk, and trees which marginally increases the taxes that the
town needs for operation, capital, and maintenace. That is not the
only cost added, more pipe is needed, increase the cost of WSSC
service. More utility poles and wire, increase the cost of cable,
phone, and electric service. Time or/and energy cost by having to
drive or walk further when going by the extra lot (a similar
situation, the unnecessary one way street in front of my house adds
about $30-$40 fuel cost per year to my budget there are four more
houses on the street with similar added cost).

So a case may be made for assessment of extra lot footage as
residential land and that certainly would be fair and it would raise
taxes with the current system as well as LVT, I take it that SDAT has
taken it that the extra green space serves the common good, but maybe
the owner gets all the benefit and none goes to the commons, and they
should be taxed at the residential rate.

Zoning, the Federal and State mortgage deduction, Utility regulations
that prevent customers from having to pay the marginal cost of
delivery, Property Tax on improvements are factors that subsidize
sprawl; and there are probably other factors.

MUTC Zone is a zone created to emulate the old paradigm of City
Planning (and over come the disaster known as Zoning (born circa
1940-1950 which gave us old town centers of the likes of Alexandria,
Georgetown, Frederick, Baltimore up until MUTC it was illegal to
build anything like them. Federal/State mortgage deductions here well
subsidize you living in a separate house instead of more efficient
apartments. The Mac Mansion folks do not want to pay the cost of
their sprawling, so lets be fair and charge everyone the same. High
property tax, let us move out to where the property taxes are lower.

The big picture is that there is a panoply of diseconomies at
operation. It is plain silly to by pass a beneficial economic action
that is so easy to accomplish, we need to make progress where we can
and not reject a part because we do not have the whole. The US
Constitution was not rejected even though it had flaws, the founders
had the wisdom to start a Democratic Republic and leave it to
posterity to Abolish Slavery, Enfranchise Women, Establish Civil
Rights for All Citizens...and still it is a work in progress.

A Challenge: How did Early Feudalism encourage the development of
Efficient Cities in Europe?

--
"We have met the enemy, and he is us!" Pogo Possum
http://theriverdaleobserver.blogspot.com