[RP TownTalk] NOAA Building

Alan Thompson & Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Sun Apr 16 03:02:16 UTC 2006

[Sarah here.]

For some reason, I was under the impression that this land was owned by
Douglas Jemal. Upon researching the tax records, it looks like it is
owned by "Maine Properties LLC" in Silver Spring, MD. I don't know who
the principals in Maine Properties LLC are, but that shopping center
needs some help. The parking lot is an adventure in four wheeling! It's
a bummer because the businesses there are thriving.

And this gets at the larger issues raised in the discussion of Land
Value Taxation. I want to state for the record that I really do think
Land Value Taxation can be an important part of a coordinated effort to
motivate land owners to keep their properties inhabited and in good
repair. I just think there are some larger issues that need to be
addressed by the state before this approach will be as effective as it
should be (e.g., fixing how the assessments of the land value are made
in the first place.)

Marketing the town won't help Kenilfair - the space is completely
rented out. So we have to figure out a way to convince the developer
that it is a good idea to upgrade the property. But for the life of me,
I can't figure out how to do that.

I grow more and more convinced that urban blight can be attributed to
the sins of developers who don't even live in our town, and it makes me
really sad because I can't figure out how to motivate them to care
about our town as much as I do.

-Sarah