[RP TownTalk] Queensbury Buses

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Mon Apr 24 14:28:02 UTC 2006

> > more cars to already congested roads. I heard that WMATA has some new
> > diesel-electric hybrid busses which probably cause less pollution.
>
> I saw three, in Hyattsville and Riverdale Park, this weekend.

Thanks, Jonah and Andy!  I didn't know about the new hybrid buses.

Poking around on wmata.com, I saw a claim that PG county is getting
more than our share of the hybrids, because we had more than our share
of the very oldest model of diesels.  If you saw three, then maybe
that really is the case.

In addition to being less polluting, the hybrids are also somewhat smaller.

I found a recent NPR story on diesel train emissions that may be of interest:

   http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5186090

While the tone may be somewhat alarmist, they do make the point that
trains are not subject to the same emissions rules as road vehicles,
with the difference in particulate emissions being very notable.