[RP TownTalk] Queensbury Buses

David Hiles hilesd at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 25 02:01:57 UTC 2006

My messages to this list are being moderated because I was judged to
have violated the posting standards.
************************************

eric noted elsewhere that the buses serve as a cross-county link for
lots of riders, and that the f4 route is underserved.  i've ridden the
f4 and i agree that we need more capacity on that route. i don't think
it should be cancelled. it might even be faster if it ran on 410.

my point is that it is reasonable to redirect "through" traffic onto
410, leaving queensbury for local traffic.   i moved to riverdale in
1990,  and i've seen a big increase in through traffic on interior
streets during that time.

buses are part of the through traffic load and their impact on our
community should be managed.  i grew up with a bus stop outside my
front yard. the noise was one thing, but there was also the cigarette
butts, gum wrappers, and dead grass around the stop.  unless there is a
really good reason for messing things up inside the neighborhood, the
bus route should be moved to 410.  our government should advocate on
our behalf to improve or maintain quality of life in our small town.
wmata is not focused on what is good for riverdale park.  that's our
job.

our community's future holds much greater density, because of our great
access to two metro stations and to big new centers of employment.  we
have had bad density imposed on us in the past as seen in the apt area
off kenilworth road.  the eya project may be an example of good
density. dealing with increased traffic is part of a good planning
response.  it isn't going to go away, but where should it best be
located?

i'd like to see our community take an active role in managing the
various aspects of our move to density in ways that improve our quality
of life.   for example, if we have more pedestrian traffic in the
future, the sidewalks may need to be widened(!!!)  we might improve
traffic flow by putting in modern roundabouts at kenilworth/410 and at
rt 1/410.  [http://www.alaskaroundabouts.com/mythfact3.html]  there are
lots of aspects to consider, and i think the new people involved in
town affairs may be willing to deal with it.  i hope so.

some problems have solutions.

WE are who we have been waiting for.
http://riverdalepark.blogspot.com/