[RP TownTalk] [TownTalk] traffic concerns

Dannielle and Steve Glaros glaros at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 25 02:45:28 UTC 2006

I just wanted to add my two bits about bus service and about
transportation in Riverdale Park in general.

In my opinion, we need to have more transit options, not less. This
means increased, regular bus service to both Metro stations--PG Plaza
AND College Park. The College Park Metro is underutilized by our town,
in part because it is hard to get to. I don't think we shift the
Queensbury bus line to 410 for three reasons: it will make bus service
even slower on an ever-more clogged highway, the utter lack of
sidewalks and limited pedestrian access to 410 will make it an
absolutely less appealing option for riders (and thus shriveling
ridership), and it will make the Town Center a less appealing location
for business. If the bus is crowded to capacity during the rush hours
then surely we have some leverage with WMATA and The Bus to get better
buses and more frequent service. I take the Alexandria DASH bus service
every day and it runs pretty well. That should be our model. And, I'd
bet that one full bus on our streets causes a lot less damage than if
each rider were to drive separate cars or SUVs.

More transit options means more frequent MARC service. More transit
options means tying Metro, MARC, and bus services together, making them
an efficient, viable alternative to cars. If our mass transit options
are more efficient, timely and frequent, then perhaps car traffic will
lessen, maybe not completely, but perceptibly. The only way to ease
traffic is to get people out of their cars by giving them other
options. We cannot build our way out of congestion. In Montgomery
County they widened I-270 to as many as eight lanes (I think), does
anyone here think that lessened traffic? Most studies of sprawl
indicate that widening roads, etc, relieves congestion only temporarily
until additional development leads to increased traffic and congestion.

Another way to ease congestion would be to make Riverdale Park a more
walkable community. Our town is chopped up into far too many bits by
410, Rte 1, the railroad, and the Anacostia. Pedestrians have few
options if they want to walk from one part of town to another.
Footbridges across these dividing lines and sidewalks along all town
streets would help reconnect our splintered town and make it easier for
each of us to get out of our cars to visit our neighbors or (God
forbid) shop. It would be healthier for us too.

None of this is easy or cheap and none of this will stop those who use
our town as a short cut (although setting up a speed trap on River Road
would slow them down and bring in much-needed revenue). However, we
need to make this town more walkable and more transit oriented, because
development will occur here and all around us. Let us provide options
for all who live, work, or travel in Riverdale Park other options than
hopping in their car and further clogging our streets. Other towns have
done this, we can too.

Steve Glaros