[RP TownTalk] bus traffic

david lingua inkywaterbears at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 29 21:53:15 UTC 2006

a minor correction.
 Taylor Road is already a north/south through street
connecting e/w traversing Decatur Street,
Riverdale/Queensbury along with 410. In effect it
already runs up to River Tech Court via Lafayette
Avenue due to the fractured nature of that parallel
n/s route. We have considerable traffic on Taylor
already (as does Decatur) with no commuter bus stops.
And speaking of buses, The Bus used to traverse Taylor
Road until that portion was eliminated for, I believe,
lack of ridership in the area.
 I agree with Mr. Farrington and others as to the
importance of public transit coming through town. I
also agree with Councilwoman Donaldson that  a change
in the type of bus needs advocacy and petitioning. In
Georgetown, Q Street has a similar responsibility for
through traffic from Dupont Circle to points west of
Georgetown. Metro has smaller (3/4 to 1/2) buses run
this route at times as well as natural gas models.
They make a big difference.
 We are a town where the only rail transit within
walking distance
(< 15 minutes.) for the majority is a state run
commuter line between Baltimore and Washington DC. A
transit line which could use a service increase. And I
see that as a glass half full. While the metro
stations may be removed, this is right here and is
also in need of advocacy and petitioning. A long shot
for sure, but worth it.
 I have my own bus story. Growing up in Jersey, my Dad
took the Lakeland Bus into New York everyday. The stop
was a safe 5 minutes from our doorstep; every hour on
the :20. We heard it, we saw it, we thought it was
great. The Big Apple was practically at our door step;
awesome! Granted these buses may have been later
models than what pulled up in front of Mr. Hiles house
and so are, for that matter, the buses they make today
and tomorrow.

David Lingua
5902 Riverside

Some problems have solutions.