[RP TownTalk] Mayor and Council Salaries

Rob Oppenheim oppenheim at email.com
Sat Dec 2 22:18:17 UTC 2006

This Monday evening (12/4/06) the council will vote to change its salary
to $300/month ($600 for mayor).

Salaries for towns about our size in Maryland average much more -
$600/month for council members and $1000 for mayor.
( http://riverdale-park.org/pipermail/towntalk/2006-September/000901.html )
Is that too much for Riverdale Park?

About 30 towns also pay insurance benefits to council members in
addition to a salary. We do not.

We need a visionary council. We need to attract and keep good people
on the council in order to create a better town.

I spend 60 hours a month on council work. To do so, I cut back on
paid work, which is forcing me to dip into savings. Ouch. Can't keep
doing that, so I am cutting back on the time spent, yet it pains me to
put off addressing so many pressing problems.

Do you think that our council should be paid the same as other
towns our size, that is, $600/month?
Too much?

Please let us hear from you.