[RP TownTalk] Bike regulations?

Gerard Kiernan gerardkiernan at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 19 23:53:14 UTC 2006

Sue,

I had to review the Town's Code and it seems to be silent on bicycles, so we
defer to the Annotated Code of Maryland.

Section 21-1103 Driving on Sidewalk

(b)1 where permitted by local ordinance, a person may ride a bicycle, play
vehicle, or unicycle on a sidewalk or a sidewalk area.

Since our Code is silent, Bike riding on a sidewalk is illegal by state law.

But what do bicyclists care?  They are also supposed to follow the same
traffic laws as automobile drivers.  How many times have you seen a bike
rider blow through a stop sign. Also, if you put "bicycle" into the search
box on the www.maryland.gov site, you can work your way to the state highway
administration and their bike page has a lot of good information on bicycle
safety.

Hope that this helps.

Gerry Kiernan
Councilmember, Ward 5