[RP TownTalk] Whither Calvert House Inn?

The Curries the.curries at verizon.net
Sun Feb 19 03:41:40 UTC 2006

Can anyone on this listserv shed light on what has happened to Calvert House
Inn?

Susie and I were at an event in Beltsville this afternoon and decided to
have a belated Valentine's Day dinner on the way home.  Knowing of the
limited supply of nicer restaurants on Rte. 1, we stopped first at Lupo's of
College Park, only to find a sign stating "Closed for the month of January"
on the front door.  Well, it's late February, so we lamented the loss of
that fine steak house and moved on down the road to one of our favorite
local restaurants, Calvert House Inn.

We were shocked to find the restaurant dark on a Saturday night.  We went
around back to the parking lot and saw the sign reading, "Closed for
Remodeling."  We didn't notice any signs of remodeling, and hadn't it been
remodeled just a few years ago?

We ended up having a fine dinner at Franklin's, but the evening's
experiences were quite unsettling.  As underserved as our region is with
"white-tablecloth" restaurants, could we have lost two more already in 2006?

Say it ain't so, neighbors to the north!!

Chris Currie
Hyattsville