[RP TownTalk] Video and Audio Streaming

Rob Oppenheim rob.oppenheim at comcast.net
Mon Jan 23 02:33:22 UTC 2006

I like Roland's suggestion of archiving the meetings on Google Video. That would be a good way to minimize our bandwidth costs. The only minor downside that I see is it requires Mac OS X 10.3 or higher or Windows 2000 or later (Windows 98 is not supported) and there is a few days delay before they put it up.

It appears that Google does not host live broadcasts. So if we want to do live webcasts, then we have to find an additional method. Before we do a whole lot of work (or spend money on this) I would like to know if there is real interest. That is, will anyone actually watch? I would not expect many watchers. I would think that 5 or 10 watchers would justify it. This TownTalk discussion is helpful in gauging interest.

*** Please post if you think you might watch a live Webcast of the town meetings. ***

If we are serious about two-way communications, that is, getting home viewers a chance to comment, we would do well to consider web meeting software. Such software can include video, audio, whiteboards, document sharing, real-time polls, annotations, chat, question manager, and even seating charts.

Could be a real step forward for democracy.

Rob