[RP TownTalk] Management of street trees

Dannielle Glaros dgriverdalepark at comcast.net
Wed Jul 5 20:14:26 UTC 2006

Residents,

I've been following up with Public Works on a few related details, so I
thought I would share with you what I have learned.

1.  Public Works has done an assessment of all trees in the public
right-of-way that need to be removed or where branches need to be trimmed.
If you would like to add a tree to the list or would like to find out if a
tree is on that list, please contact Debbie Murphy, Acting Public Works
Director at 301-864-1803.
2.  The town no longer plants Bradford Pear trees and it only plants trees,
such as Red Bud and Cherry trees under power lines/cable lines.  These trees
do not grow as high as oaks and maples.
3.  While the Town tries to remove trees and branches on its own, it oftens
contracts with an outside company to handle the removal.  This is especially
the case if the dead branches are high or wires are involved.
4.  Tree nuts:)--please consider contacting Rebecca Feldberg.  I understand
from speaking with her that she is interested in activating the tree
committee and I'm sure she would appreciate a few volunteers.  She can be
contacted at rebeccafeldberg at gmail.com.
5.  If you have any future tree questions, you are welcome to contact me,
but you really should contact Debbie Murphy, Acting Public Works Director at
301-864-1803.  Moreover, I invite you to bring any concerns to the Town
Council at either a work session (last Monday in month) or legislative
meeting (1st Monday in Month).  The next meetings are July 31st and August
7th.

Cheers,
Dannielle Glaros
Deputy Town Administrator