[RP TownTalk] Beall Circle

Lou King lking at knob.com
Mon Jul 10 02:09:00 UTC 2006

I do plan on attending the hearing but though I would pass on an idea I
ran a cross.

In 1995 when I was buying my house, which backs up to Beale Circle, I
went out to Upper Marlboro to see what I could find out.  I got a copy
of a map for "Planning Area Sixty Eight Comprehensive Plan, Approved May
1994."  On one side is the General Plan which cover from along the
District line (from Fort Lincoln Cemetery to past Queens Chapel) north
past East West Highway including Prince George's Plaza and Tuckerman Street.

On the other side is "Riverdale Town Center."  Covering generally Rt.
1/East West Highway (Beale Cr.) to Lafayette Ave. and Riverdale Rd.
(Dumms Corner).

There are seven detail notes covering the block along Rt.1, East West
Highway and Beale Circle.  Sounds to me like this addresses several of
the issues being discussed currently.

Comments inside <> are added by me.  Quick read go to #5, #6 and #7. The
notes are:

1.  Provide a distinctive, pedestrian-oriented streetscape along US 1.
Amenities should include sidewalks, landscaping, sitting areas, lighting
and facade improvements.  Utility lines should be relocated or buried.

2.  <corner Queensbury Rd and Rt. 1>  Erect attractive entrance markers,
identifying the "Historic Riverdale Town Center" as well as the MARC
station.  The design of the signs should incorporate the design theme
for the Town Center.

3.  Redevelop the southeast corner parcel at US 1 and East West Highway
to accommodate retail with residential uses above. Any new structure
should be architecturally compatible with the Town's historic heritage
and should not exceed three stories in height.

4.  <mid block Rt. 1>  Maintain mid-block pedestrian walk from US 1 to
Beale Circle Park.

5. Close West Beale Circle to create a shared parking lot.  Establish
front and rear entries for patrons as well as service entries and

6.  Enhance landscaping along East West Highway <Beale Circle> to buffer
noise and convey a more attractive appearance of Riverdale from the roadway.

7.  Enhance Beale Circle as an inviting gathering place that can
accommodate a variety of activities.  Provide amenities such as
landscaping, walkways and street furniture.
<End Quote>

Note 5.  The space gained by closing West Beale Circle gains, by my
count ~50 parking spaces and some green space.  By consolidating and
organizing the private parking behind the current businesses it looks
like there are a total of 76 parking spaces between Queensbury Rd and
the mid-block walk through, plus 13 more past the walk next to the park.
  This does not count any parking in the area that Wachovia was going to
develop.

Just a thought. I will get some poster board and bring the map July 10.

This map is one of the reasons I bough where I did.  Here was a plan.
And Riverdale had implemented some of the plan; sidewalks along
Queensbury Rd, Street light, MARC station, initial town center area.

Here we are 10 years later.

Louis King