[RP TownTalk] Request for area Host Families-- Please post

Margaret Morgan-Hubbard mmorganhubbard at verizon.net
Mon Jul 31 21:08:53 UTC 2006

Good morning.

I am volunteering as an international exchange
coordinator (IEC) for the EF Foundation for Foreign
Study.  It is a non-profit dedicated to encouraging
cultural awareness through international education and
exchange.  They reach out to students from over 40
countries throughout the world.  They have both
semester and year-long programs.  Foreign students
between the ages of 15 and 18 come to the U.S. for an
academic year or semester.  They enter the country on
a J-1 cultural exchange visa, live with volunteer host
families, and attend a local high school.  As an IEC,
I will serve as a liaison for the EF Foundation, the
students, families, and schools.

Right now, we have 15 students who need host families.
  Part of my responsibility is to find those families.
Volunteer host families provide room and board and a
loving environment for EF Foundation students.
Prospective families are required to complete
applications and supply references.  Single people can
serve as host families as well.  All host families are
interviewed in their homes by local EF Foundation IEC
(like me).  Host families are entitled to a tax
deduction of $50 per month.  Children from families
who have hosted an EF Foundation student for 10 months
are entitled to a $500 reciprocity scholarship if
accepted into the High School Year Abroad program or
$250 for the Semester Abroad program if they travel
within five years of the hosting experience.
Interviews are conducted year round.  Accepted
families may select their student as early as
September for arrival in the following January or
August, but we need families now.

I am attaching a link to the EF Foundation site
http://www.effoundation.org.

If you would be interested or know of anyone else who
would (they must be in Maryland, DC or Delaware),
please have them contact me at home, 301-665-3852 or
e-mail me at Sisterlioness44 at aol.com.

Thanks.

Deborah

Deborah L. Foster