[RP TownTalk] archives should be digitized to avoid building costs

Laureys, Ken R. KRLaureys at co.pg.md.us
Wed Jun 7 16:39:12 UTC 2006

Rob -- I strongly suspect that a good amount of the paper in the archives/storage room is out-dated and of little, if any, historical value.  Before we go spending money on construction of more storage space, shouldn't we have an inventory and purging of the materials already in storage?  I'm also pretty sure that a good amount of these materials could be stored electronically, and/or scanned into image files for archiving.  And finally, how are our town's new materials being archived?  Shouldn't much of this be electronically archived?  I'm just concerned that we are building an old-fashioned (and more expensive) paperwork warehouse instead of a modern digital data warehouse.  That space could be much more effectively used for the other purposes needed.

Ken Laureys

4718 Riverdale Rd

301-779-1034