[RP TownTalk] Patriot Group "Condominiums"

Rob Oppenheim rob.oppenheim at comcast.net
Fri Jun 9 02:30:05 UTC 2006

Since the Patriot Group's "Condo" buildings do not meet all the
mandatory M-UTC conditions, it will come before the town council
for approval in about a month or two.

I will vote NO to 5-story buildings.

I have expressed my concern that the scale of the buildings at 5
stories is not appropriate for the historic town core. I also
believe that the units will become rental properties (our town is
already about 60% rental). Patriot confirmed that if they can't
sell the units then they will rent them.

Patriot insists that they cannot build a 3-story project. Well,
if they can't, then someone else can. But as long as there is a
chance that they can push through a 5-story $70 million project
then they will continue to insist on it. Once it is firmly rejected,
then they or someone else will find a way to build something
more appropriate.

Any 5-story building will set a precedent for the other historic
core area properties - those on Natoli Place and on R.I avenue,
that is, the old print shop, Dorsey plumbing, the book store building
and all the town center shops.

Do you think Jamal will be happy with 2-story buildings if he
can build higher? If we let Patriot go to 5 stories, we can kiss
the rest of the historic core good bye. And in a few years we
will likely see high rise buildings extending out from that core.

Again, I will vote no to 5-story buildings. I hope that the council
will turn this down. But if it passes, I expect to see it challenged
by a referendum.

Gerry Keirnan expressed that, as a council member, he would also
vote against the proposal as it currently stands due to the very small
size of the units and the lack of amenities.

Gerry stated: "As a life long apartment dweller, the important
items for apartment living are floor space and closet space or
extra on-site storage. Patriot proposes apartment sizes
significantly smaller than existing apartments in the town (e.g.,
the one bedroom is 576 s.f. on the drawing provided to the M-UTC
committee two months ago). While Patriot contested my analysis,
one of their recent developments in Silver Spring has similarly
sized units (see the floor plans at www.CrescentCondo.com). As
for common amenities, the proposal has no party/meeting room, nor
is any additional on-site storage for the use of the occupants
shown on their drawings."

I calculate just 470 sq ft for their "Truffaut" which is their smallest
one bedroom at their Silver Spring site, www.CrescentCondo.com.

-Rob Oppenheim

Ward One Councilman, Riverdale Park
5902 Cleveland Ave, Riverdale Park, Md 20737-1930

Home Office: 301 779 1745