[RP TownTalk] FYI

bruce.wernek at mindspring.com bruce.wernek at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 12 13:21:49 UTC 2006

Imagine, common snapping turtles laying eggs in our Town.

Location:  Drainage ditch adjacent to the bike path and woodland south of the park on Riverside Drive

Dates/Time: Friday, June 6th/Monday, June 12th at ~6-6:30am

Description:  Friday morning while walking the dogs, I noted two snapping turtles laying their eggs on the west bank of the drainage ditch near the top of the bank.  On Monday morning, again while walking the dog, I noted another snapping turtle laying eggs on the east bank of the drainage ditch.  Again near the top of the bank.  I checked one of the nesting sites that I observed on Friday for eggs, but found none.  Apparently, the snapping turtle attempted to lay her eggs, but could not because the ground was too hard for her to dig to a sufficent depth.  If you look carefully on the banks of the drainage ditch you can see the trails left by their carapace and the spots which have been dug out.  I will continue to check the nesting sites in the hopes of finding some eggs.  I invite all of you to take a walk and maybe you will be fortunate enough to see one of them in action.

Bruce