[RP TownTalk] definition of home invasion

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Tue May 9 22:16:16 UTC 2006

Gerry Kiernan corrects me on the meaning of "home invasion".  The
police understand this term to refer only to cases where a stranger
enters the house and threatens occupants with a weapon.  There was no
weapon or confrontation in the recent burglary off Queensbury.

I understood "home invasion" to mean "someone enters while the
occupants are home".  While my dictionary agrees, I think it is more
important in this context to recognize how the term is used by law
enforcement.

Councilman Kiernan, our Public Safety Committee chair, has done a lot
of followup on this incident.  I want to recognize and appreciate his
commitment and attention to detail on matters of public safety --
something which affects all of us, even those outside his ward.