[RP TownTalk] Purple Line on Riverdale Road? - Speak up on June 6th at 7pm

Alan Thompson & Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Fri May 26 11:12:38 UTC 2006

I just got a notice from the Maryland Transit Administration.

They have been holding a series of community focus group meetings as
part of their efforts to study the Bi-County Transitway, a proposed
14-mile rapid transit line (light rail or Bus Rapid Transit) extending
from Bethesda to New Carrollton. The Transitway will provide direct
access to the region's metrorail system, connecting the Red Line at
Bethesda and Silver Spring, the Green Line at College Park, and the
Orange Line at New Carrollton. The Bi-County Transitway will also
connect MARC and AMTRAK commuter rail and local bus service.

Two primary routes they are considering for this Transitway traverse
(1) Riverdale Road, and (2) The Veteran's Parkway (the part of 410 as
you are heading east that turns off to the right from Riverdale Road
after the Baltimore Washington Parkway.)

MTA wants resident input, and invites us all to participate with our
neighbors in a meeting with the MTA. They want to talk through the
alternatives with us, listen to our concerns and ideas, and answer our
questions.

The Community Focus Group will meet Tuesday, June 6th from 7-9 pm at
the New Carrollton Municipal Center at 6016 Princess Garden Parkway in
New Carrollton Maryland.

If you have further questions, you can contact Mike Madden at
410-767-3694, or at mmadden at mtamaryland.com.

Please also note that they had a previous focus group meeting for our
area, and attendance was very low. If you are concerned, or want to
hear what is going on, this is a great chance to voice your opinions.
They've scheduled this new meeting because they really want our input.

-Sarah Wayland
  4711 Sheridan Street