[RP TownTalk] Election Results for RP area

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 15:21:01 UTC 2006

The Board of Education system seems strange to many of us, and I cannot
speak on behalf of the legislature.  However, the original proposal to go
back to an elected school board had two competing positions: 1) all district
based representation; and 2) all representation elected at large.  All
members at large seemed to be the favored way, but would have likely lead to
legal challenge--large areas of the county would likely end up with no
resident on the school board. Thus, the move to a division with some board
members elected at large and others by district.

The idea that everyone in the county can vote on each district is
clearly connected to the original legislative prejudice for an all at
large board.  Having the districts simply guarantees that there will be no
large chunk of the county without a resident sitting on the board. This
explanation is not meant to be taken as complete, but gives the gist of how
the system evolved.

Best wishes,

Vern

--