[RP TownTalk] Uline Arena - development

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 12:37:48 UTC 2006

Wasn't there also an article in the Post or someplace
a while back about development of the Uline arena?
>From the drawing I saw, it looked like the arena
itself would be the "base" of other
businesses/apartments.  I'm very much in favor of
preserving old buildings myself, but I also believe
there's a fine line between preserving and using them
against just keeping them as tax shelters and letting
them stand there and rot.  (I'm definitely against the
Fudrucker/Starbucks invasion of certain areas like
Chinatown - I mean, there's nothing much left in
Chinatown of its original identity, as far as I'm
concerned, with the exception of 1 or 2 ethnic stores
and restaurants, it's just another yuppy enclave in
the city.)  As for our town center - I'd love to see
some SMALL businesses in there, preferably
independently owned, no chains.  Maybe that's a pipe
dream because the chains are where the money is....
At any rate, it breaks my heart to see so many
charming little storefronts staying vacant year after
year - call me overly romantic, but I still see the
ghosts of Gus's barber shop and Heinekes' standing
there!