[RP TownTalk] [Norton AntiSpam] Re: Condoms

Lou King lking at knob.com
Tue Nov 28 17:45:52 UTC 2006

Karen, please don't take this wrong. I agree with you, additional police
may be an answer to this (these) problems. But:

How many of you will stand up with me at a council meeting and request
that our elected officials allocate the money to increase the Riverdale
Park Police force AND INCREASE our taxes to pay for the increased
security?  Take the funds from somewhere else? Where?  I have not seen
anyone suggesting that Riverdale Park spends to much money on any of the
services provided.

I have read suggestions that Public works "needs" to pickup trash not
hang Xmas decoration (Xmas may give a clue view of the holiday). But I
can also hear the howls if there are NO decorations in town center. I
for one was glad to see them go up along Queensbury Rd and noticed it
only took 2 days for the red ribbons to be destroyed.

This forum has included request for 1) leaf pick up 2) tree trimming
pick up 3) security/clean up at the field of dreams 4) Youth center 5)
Security on Kenilworth 6) New businesses in town - NIMBY (Read new tax
revenues) 7) Repair the clock in town center... You get my point. Always
more no reductions suggested.

On the other hand, 1) I have learned about Giraffe (sp) remover (bought
with privet funds to clean up a local mess - Thanks neighbor). 2)
Walking the dog with a bucket to pick up trash. 3) Helping with
supplies/volunteering at the school. 4) Someone did volunteer to work on
the clock issue.

And while I'm on a rant let's not blame our elected officials. As I
remember this forum ran strongly against a pay increase (any increase).
As with police protection, you get what you pay for. Civic duty not
withstanding, the level of compensation makes a difference in who can
(will) run for office.  We have made those choices, now give the council
the guidance a representative government needs to work; Go to meetings,
take your neighbors and tell the council what you want AND what you will
give up to get it.

It is way to easy to bitch and identify what others should do. And I
don't mean problems should not be identified; They should. Positive
suggestions would also be productive.

Lou King
Queensbury Rd

Karen Smyth wrote:

> The discussion is a perfect example of why we need more police and
> police patrols.  Gets back to our earlier postings about the car
> breakins too!
[Snip]