[RP TownTalk] EYA Meeting

Rob Oppenheim oppenheim at email.com
Tue Sep 19 02:03:06 UTC 2006

I attended the EYA meeting on the Arts Disctrict Hyattsville (ADH) Monday evening. Here is a bit of what I learned.

The west side village (west of Rt One) has broken ground and they will begin building up in a few days. Sales continue brisk even though much of the market has turned soft. 8 of the 13 live-work units on the west side are sold and something like 60 row homes have been sold. Costs range from $300,000 to $750,000.

The east side village is still in the planning stages and is about a year behind the west side. The east village starts on Madison St and continues south between the rail road tracks and route one. A small portion of the east side village is in Riverdale Park. They plan on developing the trolley hiker-biker trail which will connect RP to Hyattsville's downtown area. It will also connect us to a fairly large public park (green space) and two tot lots that are planned for the east side village.

240 row houses and nearly 200 condos are planned for the east side. The condos will be in 3 separate areas and like all of the buildings in the project will be just 3 stories tall and will have some restrictions against owners renting the units out (although the developers were vague about these restrictions). The condos will sell in the low $200,000. Some retail space is planed for the east side - about 8-12 stores (15 to 30 thousand sq feet). Most of this retail is concentrated to the south near Franklins. The retail buildings along route one will have a setback of 24 feet so there will be room for outdoor restaurant seating and a wide walking area.

Surface parking will be behind the retail and the condos while each town home has 2 parking spaces on its property.

The presentation was video taped and I asked if we could have a copy to show on our cable. We have to contact more people to get permission but we can probably do it. We might get a copy of the upcoming Bicycle Friendly Community workshop too.

Rob Oppenheim