[RP TownTalk] Train cafe continued...

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 12:52:09 UTC 2006

Good to see someone else likes the idea!  In fact I've
thought for a long while we should "use" the trains in
town.  Maybe even have a railroad day?  (I know, I
know, where's the $$$ coming from?)

But as far as a cafe, setting up a train set, etc.,
I'm betting if something like this DID get started,
some of the train buffs who hang around the station
would be more than happy to give advice, or maybe even
have some extra trains to donate or lend?  There used
to be a train store at Union Station, and they had
model trains running on an elevated track above the
shoppers, it was really nice.  Maybe take a page from
our late, lamented bookstore and call it the
"Riverdale Depot," or something like that?  also -
sometimes the trains are "parked" at our station for a
long while and the engineers apparently go to Dumms or
S&J's for something to eat; maybe if anyone sees any
of them ask what they'd like to see in a "train cafe,"
or if they could offer suggestions?  It would be great
to have as many railroad experts/enthusiasts involved
as possible.  (and I love the thought of having Thomas
the Tank Engine for the kiddies; this could be the
start of something! Maybe our Mayor could make
occasional appearances as Mr. Conductor?  :)   )