[RP TownTalk] Community Center Idea and Public Hearing

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 19:04:27 UTC 2006

Dear neighbors,

I would like to present to you an idea for consideration that intersects two
concerns we have.  As you are aware, the Spiropoulis family is to move
forward with a new plan to redevelop their entire property.   Also, we
budgeted $200,000 as seed money to create a new community center to replace
the old "horse stables" clubhouse on 51st Street.  I would like to suggest
that we consider putting the new center in the ground floor of a new
Spiropoulis project.

My strategy from the beginning is to use the $200,000 and land as seed money
to get further funding from the county and state.  Preliminary discussions
have gone well.

Here are some positives to putting the community center in the Dumm's
project:

1. Town is now a partial owner and/or stake holder in the project.  That is
the Town is not just an outside regulator, but an insider too.

2. We have greater influence at every stage if we get in and help shape the
project early.

3. With say 4000 sq. feet (obviously this is an estimate at best) we have a
large hunk of the 20,000+ sq. feet of non-residential use that MUTC would
ideally produce.   Assuming Pete takes 10,000 feet, the non-residential
component is getting nearly filled.

4. The Community Center would be in the Town Center—it provides almost
identical walking access to the large apartment buildings as compared to the
51st Street site, and improved access to all of Ward 1 and 3.  Ward 2 is
about the same, depending on where one lives.

5. This alleviates the need for parking in the residential only area
of 51stStreet.

6. It provides access along public streets--Queensbury and Riverdale
Road--with good lighting as opposed to areas that are either closed at dark,
or through poorly lit areas with poor pedestrian as well as vehicle access.

Regardless of where the community center is to be located, it is clearly
time to have a public meeting to begin discussing what types of amenities
and services the center should include.  I've tentatively set the date for
this as November 15 from 7-9 PM.

Best wishes,

Vern