[RP TownTalk] Mayor and Council Salaries

Jared jaredsliu at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 14:32:52 UTC 2006

Thanks to Marc for putting it so well.

I also disagree with the premise that more money equals better
representation.  Maybe more money would just attract someone who...
wants more money.  I am embarrassed to read that so much of our
representatives' time is dedicated to deciding how much to pay
themselves.  Sounds like a lot of research went into finding out how
much everyone else makes, too.

I agree that time is the major factor in attracting a broader pool of
candidates.  The unnecessary length of sessions, in particular, stands
out to me as insensitive to citizens who might want to participate in
the process.

I am not against a raise either, but three things make me skeptical:

1.  So much of the discussion seems to be about parity rather than good
government, although the rhetoric is the opposite.

2.  If this really is about good government, how come the process
leading up to the introduction of the legislation was not more
transparent?  Why was the first we heard about this not from our
councilmembers but from a town staff member?  Were any citizens
consulted while the legislation was being drawn up?

3.  What is the ridiculousness about pay for play?  Maybe the issue is
getting muddled by this, but are we really boiling it down to getting a
bigger lollipop?  Who does the most work?... come on.

I will be at Monday's Town Hall meeting (even though Green Bay is
playing).

Jared Liu
4515 Sheridan Street

Message: 5