[RP TownTalk] Flood Control and Levee Conditions

Rob Oppenheim oppenheim at email.com
Fri Apr 6 18:27:32 UTC 2007

The main topic at the recent Flood Control Forum (Thursday, April 5, 2007),
was the status of the flood control levees along the Anacostia River.
These levees protect our town from flooding when the Anacostia River
overflows its banks.

The Corp of Engineers inspects our levees each year. Recently
added criteria (due to lessons learned from Katrina) resulted in our
levees receiving an unsatisfactory rating. The county quickly began
an aggressive program to fix these issues while assuring us that the
levees are currently in good shape and pose no imminent danger.

The biggest problem is trees growing on or near the levee. If these
trees are blown over, their root ball can tear a hole in the levee.

As a result, the county is cutting down trees whose drip line is within
15 feet of a levee. They will later remove the stumps and roots of these
trees and repair the holes left by removing the roots.

County Council members requested a report on how to replace the lost
trees in nearby areas that pose no risk to the levee.

Other areas of concern for our levees include footpaths and erosion,
rutting at the top of the levee, and sediment raising the river floor.

I discussed with the county and with the Army Corp representative,
the footpath that is eroding the side of the levee at Oglethorpe and
Riverside drive. I will follow up with them about this and ask that it
be repaired. A paved ramp would allow access without damaging
the levee.

You can read more about the threat of floods in our town, and see a
FEMA map of our flood areas and read about the importance of flood
insurance in an article I wrote for the October 2005 Town Crier (page 5), at
http://www.ci.riverdale-park.md.us/rptc/2005/C3408-Oct05-FloodMappdf

(Or go to www.rptc.us then click on "2005 Town Crier Archives", then click
on C3408-Oct05-FloodMap.pdf )

Also read the short follow up article in the November 2005 Crier (also on page 5)
http://www.ci.riverdale-park.md.us/rptc/2005/C3409-Nov05-Resignations.pdf

Rob Oppenheim

Ward One Councilman, Riverdale Park
5902 Cleveland Ave