[RP TownTalk] Electioneering policy (was Re: TownTalk Digest, Vol 9, Issue 21)

Alan K. Thompson webmaster at ci.riverdale-park.md.us
Wed Apr 18 15:46:42 UTC 2007

Ms. Lefkowitz brings up a lot of points, most of which I will not
discuss, at least while wearing my listmaster's hat.  The main point I
would like to make is that posting "voting records" can easily fall
into the definition of electioneering.  If someone makes a statement
to the effect of "I strongly oppose the council's decision to (fill in
legislation).  Here is how they voted: ...." then, during election
season, to me it looks a lot like electioneering, and I have to
evaluate it very carefully.  Outside of election season this would be
fine, encouraged even, but right now we are working under very
restrictive rules.

Regards,

Alan Thompson
Listmaster and Acting Webmaster, Town of Riverdale Park