[RP TownTalk] Train Crossing Stupid Act is sometimes unavoidable

Iris McLaurin elsiegoh at rcn.com
Thu Apr 19 18:21:35 UTC 2007

My experience is that the "stupid act" may occur because the train gates are
not down, no horn is blowing, and you not see the train in the distance
until you are already starting to enter the track.  They do not always blow
their horns.

Though that was not our SUV in the video, my husband and I have had a few
occasions to come home very late at night (like last night, it was about
2am) and it was not until we were on the track did we notice a train in the
distance.    The gates were not closed, and the train was moving slowly
because I guess the conductor knew the Riverdale gate was not down, but no
horn was blowing.  It is a frightening experience for me.  Instinctively,
one expects the gates would be down if a train is approaching.  If you do
not live in Riverdale you would have no idea that there are times when the
gates are not down, there is no horn blowing, but a train could be
approaching in the distance (out of immediate view).    And, there are
people who are hearing impaired who do drive; without the horns blowing,
this could mean a sad tragedy.  Yes, we looked both ways before approaching
the track last night, and it looked clear, but all of a sudden we enter the
track, and a train comes into view.  You hope and pray its approach is slow,
and that your car does not stall.  Fortunately, each of the three times I
have had this experience, the train has been approaching very, very slowly,
and was far enough away that I was not in real danger.  Nonetheless, had its
approach been at high speed, I could have panicked and caused myself to make
a tragic mistake in judgment, car stalls, oh my.

Iris