[RP TownTalk] ICE CREAM TRUCK

Lou King lking at knob.com
Thu Apr 26 00:05:38 UTC 2007

I don't want to imply that that your memory of the Good Humor Truck is
like the 5 mile walk to school, up hill, in the snow, but I remember the
Good Humor Truck also.

The differences I remember between then and the local guy now are 1)
They use to be in tune, 2) played more than 4 bars of the one song over
and over and 3) were melodic vis harsh synthetic sounds.

The truck by my grandmother's had real bells. the player was like a
music box and he had several drums he could put in for different songs
(yes I was a geek even then).  The one by our house was a glockenspiel
(The good humor man taught me that word). It didn't 'go nuts' when the
truck was moving like the bells did. A REAL STEP UP!

I don't know if the truck in Riverdale Park is broken, out of adjustment
or just cheap, but it is not music. It is noise and is not going to
generate "good memories."

Yes, we need to tolerate the sounds of our neighbors "living."  I
learned all of songs our neighbor sang while as she washed dishes.
Living cheek to jowl is nothing new. Being less considerate of others
may be.

Lou

Lou