[RP TownTalk] Town Center

JayRite at aol.com JayRite at aol.com
Fri Aug 3 15:41:11 UTC 2007

In a message dated 8/3/2007 9:59:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ABragg7393
writes:

Dear Mr. Wright,
My only intention was to call attention to  the boarded up buildings which I
still think look like a ghetto and do not do  a thing for the progress of our
town.
I cannot disagree with that.

It was not my intention to criticize the Mayor or  Council.
Well, that is certainly how it came across.

When  buildings are boarded up it means we are going backward instead of
forward.  If I can't speak up to my elected representatives when I feel
something is amiss without being called sarcastic  and cynical  then  something is
very wrong.
Then it was the style of you post that prompted me to call attention to  it.
It certainly seemed cynical and sarcastic to me. If I am incorrect in my
interpretation, then please accept my apologies, I am sorry.
I absolutely agree that all public officials should be challenged. But  it
seemed more like cynicism and criticizing to me. I support our  elected
officials, and trust that they are doing a good job. (well at least on  the local
level). Your post came off as critical of the Mayor and  Council, despite your
claim that it was not your intent. And I felt the need to  make a statement of
support for them, in response.

When people disagree, it does not particularly mean they are  ignorant.

First of all, ignorant as defined in Websters dictionary  reads "lacking
knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified". It is my  opinion that the
detractors of the Dumms Corner deal, were not and are not  in possession of all
of the facts. By definition that is  ignorant. Let's be clear, Audrey, I did
not specifically call you ignorant.  I wouldn't challenge your intelligence.
I've enjoyed reading many of your  previous posts as they are usually very
insightful. You are a passionate person  and that's a great trait. But passion also
leads to recklessness and I'd caution  that.

I think, Mr. Wright, that I would  not have taken your message personally  if
you had not used those 3 words  in your disertation.  "bitter sarcasm,
cynicism, ignorant"
and then go  on to Thank me for not taking your comments in response to your
post  personal.
In ending, Mr. Wright,  your opinion is always appreciated as  well.

Well I  didn't want you to take it personally, though you obviously did. My
intent  was to point out to you that the criticism that you unfairly leveled
against the town officials was uncalled for. Although you clearly deny that it
was your intent. And, that's great. I'm glad you clarified  that.

So please  accept my most humble apology. Harsh words were used, perhaps to
harsh, although  I think my point was taken, if not well received. My intent is
not to  disrespect, and if through my words, you feel slighted by me, I do
indeed  apologize again. I have much respect for you and look forward to
continued  debate and/or concurrence with you in the future.

I do hope  you now realize that your words to the mayor were also very harsh.
And  unfair, as you have claimed that was not your intent. Perhaps your level
 of frustration on the one thing that we all agree on, had just gotten to be
too much.
We ALL  agree that the Town Center does need a major face lift and at the
same time  should not regress. It is very easy to get disgusted and impatient
with  something, and therefore someone, when it just doesn't seem to be happening
fast  enough. But the fact of the matter is that the economy IS stale right
now, on a  national level, which makes it even tougher to move businesses into
the Town  Center. Douglas Development owns nearly all of the property there,
and the town  simply MUST work WITH them to get it right. Making idle threats
will only make  matters worse. Progress has been made recently, but the
facelift will not happen  over night. Short term solutions lead to long term
failures. And that has been  the problem with the Town Center for all these years. We
need a long term  solution that the majority of us can agree on.

All Riverdalians need to take responsibility though. The Mayor and  Council
are on the front line but do not have a magic wand.

What can we do to help? :
-Support the farmers market. Every Thursday.
-Support the new Pet Store. Sure we've all stopped by to say hi and check  it
out. But have you bought anything there? Regularly? That store has gone out
on a limb and this town needs to support it, not just talk about how cool it
is  that it's there. Good intentions will not pay the rent.
-Support the Fire Department. They will be fundraising with  the Halloween
show again this year and you can volunteer or attend. Or just  make a donation.
-Join a town committee.
-Be a good  Riverdalian. Be courteous to your neighborhood. Just last week I
witnessed a  scruffy guy walking two scruffy dogs on the sidewalk in front of
the Dorsey  Building. The littlest one stopped and pooped right there in front
of him.  On the sidewalk, mind you. And then he just continued on.
Ridiculous.

Stuff like  that drives me crazy, too. We all have to pitch in too.
Please  forgive me, Audrey, if I insulted you. Please understand that I am
passionate too.

Sincerely,
Jay  Wright